Operational Questions

Who do I contact if my office bins are full/overflowing?

If there are bin(s) that need to be serviced in your department, call the Facilities Services desk at (510) 642-1034 and initiate a work order. 

I will be moving out of my department, is there something that I can do with my extra recyclable and reusable office materials?

To request a cart to recycle paper materials please refer to these clean-out cart request guidelines and call the Facilities Services desk to initiate a work order at (510) 642-1043.

For office materials that could be reused, contact the Facities Services desk at (510) 642-1043 and initiate a work order so that these items can be repurposed and redistributed.

My department will be hosting an event, is there a way to get extra bins?

To request extra bins for an event, please call the Facities Services desk at (510) 642-1043 and refer to our Zero Waste Event page. To ensure that the bins are serviced and placed properly, contact us at least two weeks prior to the event.

How do I request a shredding bin?

The UC Berkeley Mail Services department delivers, services, and manages the Cal Shredding Service program. Please refer to their website, mailservices.berkeley.edu, for further questions.

Disposal and Recycling Questions

Where do I dispose/recycle electronic waste, batteries, and other related toxic materials?

The office of Environemental, Health and Safety (EH&S) handles all electronic waste and toxic materials such as batteries, monitors, and flourescent bulbs. For more information on their program please refer to their website: ehs.berkeley.edu. 

Do I have to remove staples, paperclips, binder clips, cellophane, and adhesives before I recycle them?

Staples, cellophane, and adhesives do not need to be removed before depositing them in the mixed paper bin. Paperclips and binder clips should be removed so that they can be reused.

Where does campus waste go?

Where does the landfill waste go after it leaves campus?

Landfill waste is transported to Golden Bear Transfer Station in Richmond. It's then consolidated and hauled by semitrucks to Keller Canyon Landfill near Pittsburg. 

Where do recycled materials go after they leave campus?

Mixed paper/cardboard goes to Republic Services Materials Recovery Facility in Richmond.

Cans and Bottles is serviced by Civicorp and is taken to a Materials Recovery Facility in Oakland.

What happens to compost after it leaves campus?

Food waste is composted all together with other organics such as landscape waste and grass clippings. It is transported to the Richmond Composting Facility which uses a windrow composting system.

Cal Zero Waste Programs

Which policies/initiatives were the most helpful to reduce Berkeley's waste in the last five years?

TGIF (The Green Initiative Fund) has been an invaluable resource for our office's waste reduction projects and initiatives over recent years. Please refer to their website for the specific projects that Cal Zero Waste collaborated with them on.

The Compost Alliance and Zero Waste Building Initiatives upgraded the university's diversion and recycling systems, namely adding composting at various pilot locations on campus. 

The Beverage Alliance Grant Program funded numerous indoor centralized recycling collection bins, including many of the cabinet bins found throughout campus. 

The Brita Partnership recently allowed for the distribution of reusable water bottles to each residence hall, which will help remove disposable water bottles from the waste stream and educate students on proper waste reduction behavior.

UC Berkeley Waste Metrics

What are UC Berkeley's landfill metrics in recent years?

​2007-2008: 5,995 tons

2008-2009: 6,838 tons

2009-2010: 4,400 tons

2010-2011: 5,001 tons

2011-2012: 4,780 tons

2012-2013: 4,622 tons

2014-2015: 4,462 tons

2015-2016: 4,096 tons

What goes in each bin?

What goes in each bin?

Why compost?

CRRS Compost Infographic

Cal Zero Waste | Address: 16A Edwards Track, #1386 Berkeley, CA 94720-1386 | Phone: (510) 643-4612